Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a hearty flavorful cod dish that is easy and quick to make. The unique scent and flavor of the smoked paprika combined with the Asiago cheese makes for a different flavor profile. A side of penne pasta mixed with garlic, sundried tomatoes and kalamata olives, some sauteed zucchini along with a nice big salad and some fresh bread would round out the meal. A nice crisp white wine such as a Sauvignon Blanc pairs well with this.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, drained, pitted and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary (divided)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano (divided)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika (divided)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 lb cod fish fillet, cut into 2-3 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a heavy skillet.
- Add the onions and garlic. Sprinkle with half the rosemary, oregano and smoked paprika.
- Cook on medium heat for 2 - 4 minutes, then add the red and green peppers.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the peppers are tender-crisp and the onions are golden brown.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat remaining tbsp of olive oil.
- Pat fish dry.
- Salt and pepper the fish.
- Put fish skin side down in the skillet.
- Sprinkle with remaining rosemary, oregano and smoked paprika.
- Saute fish approx 3 minutes on each side, turning only once. The fish should be opaque white and flaky when done.
- Add the vegetables back to the skillet.
- Stir in the tomato sauce.
- Let cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Mix in the olives.
- Remove from the skillet and plate.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve.