Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Another way to enjoy sweet potatoes. These can be made ahead of time and baked later, if desired. Substitutions can be made for the evaporated milk such as soy milk.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- vegetable oil, to coat outside of potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- salt, pinch
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 1 cup flaked coconut, divided
- Scrub potatoes throughly, and rub outside with vegetable oil; bake at 375F for 1 hour or until tender. Let cool to touch.
- Slice skin away from the top of each potato. Carefully scoop out inside pulp, leaving the shells intact.
- Combine pulp, sugar, milk, orange juice, and salt; beat until smooth. Stir in orange zest and 1/2 cup coconut.
- Spoon potato mixture into shells; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until throughly heated.