Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
These crispy shrimp are rolled in coconut beer batter before frying. For dipping sauce, I use orange marmalade, mustard and horseradish mixed to taste.
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup beer
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 24 shrimp
- 3 cups oil, for frying
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, 1/2 cup flour, beef and baking powder. Place 1/4 cup flour and coconut in two separate bowls.
- Hold shrimp by tail and dredge in flour, shaking off excess flour. Dip in egg/beer batter; allow excess to drip off. Roll shrimp in coconut and place on a baking sheet lined with parchament paper. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oil to 350°F in a deep-fryer.
- Fry shrimp in batches: Cook, turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Using tongs, remove shrimp to paper towels to drain. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.