Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This rice goes great with spicy Indian or Thai style food. It's slightly sweet and very flavorful.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup almonds
- Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add uncooked rice, tumeric, salt, and pepper. Stir rice occasionally until it is toasted and starts to smell nutty (3-4 minutes).
- Add vegetable stock and coconut milk and stir well. Bring to boil and then turn the heat down to maintain a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove rice from heat and stir in almonds. Serve immediately.
This was a really flavorful rice. The almonds added a nice crunchy texture, and the coconut milk was just the right amount (not overpowering at all). Thanks Pastry Queen. Made for 2009 Fall Pick-A-Chef.