Recipe by DVG2000
Sweet and savory, an excellent side dish for Caribbean, Pacific Rim, and tropical flair entrees.
- 1⁄4 cup davinci gourmet classic coconut syrup
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced (or 1 teaspoon chopped garlic in a jar)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (chinese parsley)
- 1⁄4 cup macaroon unsweetened coconut (shredded)
- 3 sprigs cilantro, if desired, for garnish
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2-quart heavy pot with lid, combine water, syrup, rice, oil, garlic and salt.
- Bring to a boil and stir frequently for 2 minutes while rice continues to boil.
- Turn heat down to low and cover.
- Stir often to prevent sticking.
- Cook on low for about 15 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and the rice is firm to the bite.
- While the rice is cooking, toast the shredded coconut in a separate pan over medium heat until lightly browned, stirring constantly (this takes about 2 minutes).
- Once toasted, transfer the coconut to a paper towel to cool.
- Remove rice from heat, and fluff the rice using a slotted spoon.
- Stir in chopped cilantro and toasted coconut, and transfer to serving dish.
- Garnish with sprigs of cilantro.