Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is one of my favorite pound cakes. I often make it without the lemon curd filling and sometimes without the orange glaze. Lemon curd filling is made 1 day in advance (not included in prep time.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
LEMON CURD FILLING (make 1 day ahead)
- 6 large lemons
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, cut into 12 pieces
- 6 eggs, room temperature, well beaten
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- BATTER: Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Generously grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, cream butter.
- Slowly add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Blend flour mixture into butter mixture alternating with sour cream.
- Fold in vanilla and coconut.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on a wire rack 30 minutes.
- Invert cake onto wire rack and cool completely.
- Cut cake in 1/2 to make 2 layers, using a serrated knife.
- Fill with 1 1/4 cups lemond curd filling, spread 1/4 cup on top.
- (Remaining curd is passed around once the cake has been sliced) Immediately pour orange glaze over top of cake allowing some to drizzle down the sides.
- LEMON CURD FILLING (make 1 day ahead): Remove peel from lemons (yellow part only) using a vegetable peeler.
- Chop finely in a food processor.
- Squeeze lemons to measure 1 cup of juice.
- In a double boiler, heat lemon juice, peel, sugar, and butter until sugar dissolves and butter melts.
- Strain eggs into lemon mixture.
- Cook until custard leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, stirring constantly for about 20 minutes- do not boil.
- Pour into a jar or bowl.
- Place plastic wrap on surface to prevent skin from forming; let cool and refrigerate over night.
- ORANGE GLAZE: In a small saucepan, heat orange juice, sugar, lemon juice, and almond extract over low heat, swirling pan occasionally until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and boil until reduced by 1/4 or about 5 minutes.