Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping, by Jason Wrobel, "How to Live to 100: Cuckoo for Coconuts". I have fallen in love with coconut milk. If you can't find white truffle salt, use regular salt.
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemongrass, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemongrass, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced (2/3 inch ginger root, minced in food processor)
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup sweet rice wine
- 2 cups asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 -3 pinches white truffle salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the vegetable broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan and maintain it at a simmer while you make the risotto.
- In a large saucepan, heat the coconut oil and olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, lemongrass and ginger and cook until the onion begins to soften and turn translucent, 5-7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add the rice and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring to thoroughly coat the rice with oil.
- Stir in the sweet rice wine and cook until it is completely absorbed.
- Now begin adding the vegetable broth, about 1/2 cup at a time, allowing each 1/2 cup to be fully absorbed before adding another. Repeat this step until about 1 cup of the broth remains.
- Stir the asparagus, basil and truffle salt into the rice. Continue cooking, adding the remaining broth as before, until the broth is completely gone and the rice has become tender and very creamy. (The entire cooking process should take 35-40 minutes.).
- Stir in the coconut milk and cook until fully absorbed, abother 1-2 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste and serve immediately.