Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Red lentils get a big boost in flavour with this Thai-influenced dhal recipe.
- 8 ounces red lentils
- 1 2⁄3 cups coconut milk
- 1 ounce cilantro, leaves (or curry leaves)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 green chili peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 2 onions, one finely chopped, one sliced
- 4 tablespoons oil
- Put the lentils, coconut milk, the chopped onion, tomatoes, chilis and spices in a pan with 1 1/4 cups water, season and simmer for 20 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
- Fry the sliced onion in the oil until crisp, add the curry leaves (or cilantro) and mustard seeds and sizzle together.
- Pour over the lentils. Serve with flatbread.
Makes a nice fresh dhal, though I think it needs some grated ginger and garlic. Didn't make the tadka, but I will next time.