Recipe by startnover
Originally posted as coconut cream, sorry for the confusion.
Top Review by Diamond Joe
What a nice coconut custard pie! I have been looking for a good coconut custard pie recipe that did not involve scalding the milk. This came out terrific. The only thing I did differently was add 1/3 cup of sugar and added the toasted coconut before baking. I plan on making this one for Christmas as well seeing it is my wife grandfathers favorite. I'm sure he will approve! Thanks for posting!
- 1 unbaked pie shell (9 inch)
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup toasted coconut
- 2 cups real whipped cream (pref homemade)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread the 1/2 c coconut evenly over bottom of uncooked pie crust and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl mix eggs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt.
- Mix well, then add milk and half and half.
- Mix this thoroughly.
- Pour over coconut and crust and bake 400o for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted into center comes out clean.
- Chill and cover with whipped cream and then sprinkle w/ toasted coconut.