Recipe by 2hot2handle
From Penzey's catalog. You can use sweet or hot curry powder in this recipe.
Top Review by partlysunny1
This was a 'lick-the-bottom-of-the-bowl' kind of good. Even my 3 and 5-year-olds loved it!! And other than the time it takes to let the flavors meld, the prep is so simple!! Yum!
- 2 lbs shrimp (raw, peeled and deveined, tail on)
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large, deep saute pan and add the onion. Cook on low heat until the onion is translucent, about 15 minutes. Add the curry powder and continue cooking on low heat for 15 minutes, stirring regularly as curry forms a paste. Add the lemon juice and stir.
- Add the tomatoes, cutting them up once they are in the pan. Add half the juice from the can and save the remainder. Continue cooking the tomatoes and onions another 15 minutes on low heat.
- Add 1/4 of the coconut milk and stir. Add enough coconut milk and the remaining tomato juice until you like the consistency of the curry base. Simmer this mixture for another 15 minutes.
- Bring the curry base to a boil and add the shrimp. Stir constantly for about 6-8 minutes to ensure the shrimp are fully cooked. Taste and add salt, if needed. Serve over white or brown rice.