Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Food & Wine
Make and share this Coconut Curry Mussels recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 inches fresh ginger, peeled
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large Spanish onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 jalapenos, halved seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, inner white bulb only, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- kosher salt
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedge, for serving
- In a mini-food processor, coarsely chop the ginger and garlic. Add the water and process until almost smooth.
- Heat the oil in a large enameled cast-iron casserole. Add the onions, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the jalapeños, lemongrass, cumin, coriander, turmeric and the garlic and ginger puree and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the evaporated milk and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and let stand for at least 30 minutes or for up to 4 hours.
- Bring the curry broth to a boil. Stir in the mussels, cover and cook over moderate heat just until the mussels open, about 7 minutes; discard any that don't open.
- Stir in the lime juice and season with salt. Spoon the mussels and their broth into shallow bowls, sprinkle with the cilantro and serve with lime wedges.