Thai Curry Mussels
photo by Thorsten
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 5 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon peeled fresh ginger, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste (more if you like)
- 7 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic and ginger, sauteeing until garlic is tender, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk, then the curry paste, 4T chopped cilantro and the salt.
- Simmer for just 4 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Add mussels.
- Cover and cook about 5 minutes until the mussels are opened.
- Remember to discard any mussels that are not opened!
- Place broth and mussels in soup bowls-- 6 first course or 4 main course.
- Serve with crusty bread to dunk in the delicious broth.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 8 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Life often interupts our comfortable routines in very unexpected ways and in the past three years I've certainly faced some challenges. As a health nut who ate mostly vegetarian I was beyond shocked to discover that I was diabetic. <img title=Yell src=../tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-yell.gif border=0 alt=Yell /> I shouted and rebelled and cried. But the good news is that I can control my glucose levels simply by eating very low carb. What a complete turn around it was to pass up all my high carb vegetarian foods like grains, and veggies and embrace meat! <img title=Surprised src=../tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-surprised.gif border=0 alt=Surprised /> I've adjusted to this limited diet and thanks to Zaar can eat a nice variety of healthful meals.</p> <p> The next challenge was a freakish fall I took while in New York with my daughter that left me paralyzed and in much pain. I thank God that I am so much better today after more than two years recovery, with total mobility and just some minor pain in my arms and hands. Cooking and communicating here was not really on my priority list. But, I am back in action and ready to cook, take photos, and enjoy this wonderful community of friends.<img title=Laughing src=../tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif border=0 alt=Laughing /></p> <p>My husband and I continue to enjoy our grandchildren and being closely involved with their day to day activities. I am also the proud owner of a sweet grey and white cat who came to my door as a little kitten 6 months ago. Her name is Bonny and you can read her story here: <a href=http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ps/3/g7hopubcqxji7ub0y6fg target=_blank>http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ps/3/g7hopubcqxji7ub0y6fg</a>.</p> <p> When I have time for myself, I love to do all things artistic...drawing, pastels, paper craft, scrapbooking, and most recently jewelry making. I have set up a website on ETSY ( shown on this page by my website)and you can go there and see my creations.<img title=Cool src=../tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cool.gif border=0 alt=Cool /><br /><br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><a href=http://photobucket.com target=_blank><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/houdini6.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /></a> <br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif alt= /></p>