Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
So delicious - what a delight to have for a dessert -
Make and share this Coconut Cream Tart recipe from Food.com.
FOR THE CRUST
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened coconut, shredded
- 2 1⁄2 cups cold milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- MAKE CRUST: Preheat oven to 350°F In a food processor, pulse flour, butter, sugar and salt until moist crumbs form; transfer to 9-inch tart pan with removeable bottom. With floured fingers, press evenly into bottom and up sides of pan. Freeze until firm, 15 minutes.
- Prick crust all over with a fork. Bake until golden, 25 minutes, pressing down with a spoon if it puffs up; cool completely, leave oven on.
- MAKE FILLING: Spread 3/4 cup coconut on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until golden, tossing ccasionally, 5-7 minutes. Set toasted coconut aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 cups of the milk and remaining 3/4 cups coconut until milk just begins to simmer. Remove form heat, cover; let stand 10 minutes. Strain through a sieve, and return milk to saucepan, discard coconut.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, egg yolks, and remaining 1/2 cup milk until blended. Gradually whisk into saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, whisking constantly until mixture begins to thicken, about 3 minutes. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl add vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until cool, 45 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat cream on medium until soft peaks form.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE TART: Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the toasted coconut in crust. Spoon cooled filling, mounding slightly, in center. Sprinkle another 1/4 cup coconut on filling; top with whippd cream, and garnish with remaining 1/4 cup coconut. Refrigerate until ready to serve, at least 30 minutes.
- REmove sides of tart pan, and servel.