Recipe by Bev
Top Review by Leeleemom
This pie is "delish"! I made it for the family as one of my pies for Thanksgiving and it was THE favorite! The only change I made was to bake it for 5 minutes @ 350 after putting the meringue on the custard to brown the meringue slightly! Will definitely make it again SOON!
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk, cold
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, Scalded
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut, Shredded
- 1 pie crust, baked (9-inch)
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend sugar, flour and salt with the cold milk.
- Add scalded milk, gradually, stirring constantly.
- Cook on a low heat until thick.
- Add beaten egg yolks.
- Cook 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla extract and coconut.
- Cool then pour into previously baked pie shell.
- Cover with meringue (recipe follows).
- Makes one 9" pie.
- To Make Meringue: use 3 egg whites to cover a 9" pie shell.
- Use 2 level tablespoons granulated sugar for each egg.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. (They should be glossy on top and when you invert the bowl, they should remain in place.).
- Fold in the sugar,gradually.
- Cover the pie with meringue.