Recipe by MechaFusion
Very sweet but yummy
Top Review by dogsandwoods
To skip the orange zest I subbed craisins for the cranberries. The flavor was okay. It seems that a good variation would be to replace the cranberries with diced tropical fruit. I'm not sure if I like the cranberry coconut combo. The baking time was far too long for my oven. At 14 minutes my cookies were almost burnt. It might be my oven, though, as the other macaroons on Recipezaar have the same baking temp and time. I used a Calphalon cookies sheet, which might have made a difference, also. The cookies had a great texture and held together well. Thank you for posting!
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
- orange zest
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine salt
- 3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Whisk the sugar, egg whites, cranberry, orange zest, vanilla and salt in a large bowl. Toss the coconut with the egg mixture until completely coated.
- Moisten your finger tips with water. Form about 1 heaping tablespoon of the batter into pointed mounds or pyramids on the prepared pans, spacing them about 1-inch apart.
- Bake until the edges are golden brown and the entire macaroon is nicely toasted and dry, 16 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool. Serve.