Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Courtesy of Food and Wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk, stirred
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 11 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped and melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spread the shredded coconut on a baking sheet and toast until lightly golden, about 4 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the coconut milk with the sugar, corn syrup and 4 tablespoons of the butter.
- Cook over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until thick as jam, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and the toasted coconut.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Cover a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Using an offset spatula, spread half of the melted chocolate on the wax paper in a 10-by-7-inch rectangle.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes.
- Spread the coconut mixture over the chocolate and refrigerate until set, about 10 minutes.
- Spread the remaining melted chocolate over the coconut and refrigerate until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Trim the edges of the rectangle, then cut into 40 squares.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- MAKE AHEAD The candy bars can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.