Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I am always asked for the recipe for this cake. It is a rich macaroon like cake that must be kept for at least a day before serving it for the flavours and texture to develop into what they should be. You may want to keep it out of reach if you have someone in the house with a sweet tooth. Resisting the urge to nibble is the hardest part of making this cake :)
- 1 lb butter, not margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond flavoring
- 3 cups desiccated coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9 inch tube pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add one cup of the flour and mix it in well.
- Add the eggs and almond flavouring.
- Fold in the remaining flour and coconut.
- Bake for 1 1/2- 1 3/4 hours watching it carefully.
- Remove from pan and let sit on the counter while you mix the glaze ingredients together.
- Brush glaze on hot cake until it sinks in.
- Cover the cake loosely with foil and don't serve it for at least another 24 hours.
- Slice this rich cake into thin slices.