Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Always love a good curry - from Australian BH&G Diabetic Living.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 250 g blade steaks (beef oyster trimmed of fat and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- chili powder (pinch of)
- 125 ml light coconut milk (1/2 cup)
- 145 g tomatoes (canned no added salt chopped)
- 200 g cauliflower (chopped)
- 100 g green beans (trimmed and diagonally sliced)
- 100 g yellow squash (quartered)
- 100 g basmati rice (1/2 cup)
- Heat the toil in a medium saucepan on medium to high heat and add the beef and cook for 2 to 3 minutes tossing often, until browned and then reduce hat to medium and add the garam marsala, turmeric and chillies and cook stirring for 30 seconds.
- Add the coconut milk and tomato to the pan and bring to a simmer and cook partially covered for 25 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Add the cauliflower, beans and squash to the pan and cook partially covered for 5 to 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile cook the rice following the packet direction and drain well.
- Serve the curry with the rice.
Good weeknight dish, great way to sneak in vegetables. Used venison tenderloin (cut into large bite-size pieces) instead of marketing-jacked-up-price blade steak, and frozen green beans and cauliflower, thawed during prep time. It tasted very good, although the venison overcooked due to 5 minutes extra time necessary to cook still partially frozen veggies. The spices didn't have time to blend together perfectly. Next time I would: 1) chop the cauliflower so finely that it would just become part of the sauce; 2) cut the venison into even larger chunks; 3) completely thaw the veggies prior to cooking. I doubled the recipe, using 1 can of drained of diced tomatoes, amounting to 256g instead of 290g. I would move direction 4 above direction 3. It seemed odd to cut my 200g squash into 8 pieces rather than slicing coins, given the finer dicing of the other veggies; is that what you intended? DH said the spiciness was perfect. Made for Please Review My Recipe.