Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Chewy, flavorful cookies for Passover that are not excessively sweet. They are dense and full of flavor. Try dipping them in chocolate for an extra decadent treat. I prefer them with date sugar, which is more nutritious than cane sugar. They are gluten-free and non-gebrokts.
- 5 ounces almond meal
- 1⁄3 cup sugar or 1⁄3 cup date sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coconut extract or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 12 whole almonds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix all dry ingredients well in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine egg whites, cream of tartar and coconut (or almond) extract. Beat them with a standing mixer or electric hand mixer until they form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, stirring softly until all ingredients are combined.
- Place one tablespoon at a time onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving 2 inches in between macaroons. Flatten the top of each macaroon slightly with the back of a spoon or with your fingers. Press one whole almond into the top of each cookie if you desire.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until they are becoming slightly browned around the edges and are dry to the touch. Allow to cool before eating.