4 hrs 10 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
This bread has so much flavour that you will want to eat it straight from the oven!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve sugar in 1/2 cup warm water and sprinkle yeast over, and allow to stand 10 minutes til yeast rises. Stir.
- 2Add molasses, salt and shortening to the 2 1/2 cups lukewarm water.
- 3Stir the rye flour and cocoa together, then beat into the molasses mixture.
- 4Add the dissolved yeast and 1 cup of white flour and beat til dough is smooth.
- 5Keep adding flour until dough is firm enough to turn onto a floured surface.
- 6Knead the rest of the flour into it until dough is smooth and elastic.
- 7Place in a greased bowl, cover and allow to rise in a warm place free from drafts. (approx 2 hours).
- 8Punch dough down.
- 9Shape into 2 or 3 loaves and place in well greased loaf pans.
- 10Allow to rise again 1 hour.
- 11Bake 375F 35-40 minutes.
- 12(if you want, add the raisins and walnuts with the flour for a delicious tea bread).
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cocoa Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 (2479 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1798.7
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2384.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 360.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 29.8 g
- Sugars 65.7 g
- Protein 40.0 g