Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This bread has so much flavour that you will want to eat it straight from the oven!
Make and share this Cocoa Rye Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
- 4 cups rye flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 5 cups white flour (or whole wheat)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup walnuts (optional)
- Dissolve sugar in 1/2 cup warm water and sprinkle yeast over, and allow to stand 10 minutes til yeast rises. Stir.
- Add molasses, salt and shortening to the 2 1/2 cups lukewarm water.
- Stir the rye flour and cocoa together, then beat into the molasses mixture.
- Add the dissolved yeast and 1 cup of white flour and beat til dough is smooth.
- Keep adding flour until dough is firm enough to turn onto a floured surface.
- Knead the rest of the flour into it until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover and allow to rise in a warm place free from drafts. (approx 2 hours).
- Punch dough down.
- Shape into 2 or 3 loaves and place in well greased loaf pans.
- Allow to rise again 1 hour.
- Bake 375F 35-40 minutes.
- (if you want, add the raisins and walnuts with the flour for a delicious tea bread).