Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Recipe source: Bon Appetit (October 1981)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 marshmallows (optional)
- Combine water, sugar and cocoa in a microwave safe cup and then cook on medium power for 2 minutes.
- Stir in milk and continue to cook on medium for 45 -90 seconds or until hot.
- Pour into mug and add marshmallow(s) if desired.
- Note:This is also good if you add one candycane crushed.
I was going to complain that the cook time in step 1 was too long then I see that it was supposed to be MEDIUM power. Oops. I did it full power and didn't watch it. Part had boiled out of the cup by the time I got to it. I made this as written and found it the right mix of sweet and rich. Sad that it takes that much sugar to get the effect though!
I like to make my own mixes so at some point I will try mixing it with powdered milk to see if it still tastes as good. Some cinnamon would also make a good addition!
Perfect, so easy! It worked out very nicely and the cocoa was creamy, rich and delicious. Mmmm!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this wonderful and versatile recipe with us, ellie_!
Made and reviewed for PRMR Tag Game February 2011.
This is, to me, a perfect cup of hot cocoa! Easy, fast & yummy. I used 1 1/2 tbsp of Splenda for the sugar, skim milk & since I seem to have a good micro--needed under 2 min total for the whole recipe. I hate those sugar free/fat free cocoa mixes--they just don't taste good at all!! This was great cuz it wasn't too sweet or fattening. Thank u so much for sharing!!