Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
One of those keeper, appetizers. These can be made ahead, frozen and ready in just a few minutes when unexpected company pops in. And most ingredients are on hand. Everyone loves this one.
- 1 loaf rye cocktail bread
- 1 lb hot pork sausage (breakfast style)
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄4 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- Brown sausage and drain.
- Melt cheese, add remaining ingredients.
- Spread on Rye cocktail rounds.
- Place on cookie sheet and freeze. After freezing, they can be stored in plastic bags until ready for use.
- Heat on cookie sheet in preheated oven at 350°F for 5 minutes till cheese bubbles.
Left oiut the green pepper per request, but other than that these were great !! These were served immediately . These do have a nice kick to them that we enjoyed too. Made for PRMR TAG.
I made these and froze them, so I will have to see how they turn out on reheating. I just love the idea of having something made ahead to pop in the oven. However, prior to freezing, I did taste them and they were delicious! My only problem is that I could not find rye cocktail bread (suddenly it's scarce?) and had to cut a loaf of Jewish rye, thinly sliced, into squares.
Made these for Christmas Eve from frozen. Took much longer than 5 minutes to bake that way, but everyone enjoyed them--they have a nice little kick! Make a lot, too, so I can serve some on New Years Eve. Thanks for a good one!