Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from Rachael Ray's Magazine. It's just a different, unique way to use up leftover rice, or just to try as a side or even a main dish. Enjoy.
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and thinly sliced (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds, shelled
- In a large, heavy skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer to paper towel to drain; leave 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease in the skillet.
- Add the kale and 3 tablespoons water to that skillet; cover and cook over medium to medium-low heat until tender, 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another skillet, heat olive oil. Add tomatoes and 1 teaspoon salt and cook over medium heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until tomatoes are softened, 8 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar, sugar, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt until dissolved; stir into rice.
- To serve, divide rice among 4 bowls; layer with kale, tomatoes, avocado, bacon, and sunflower seeds.