1/1 Photo of Coating Cheese Sauce
Houmous Monster's Note:
Another recipe I grew up with from the Bero book. This is a wonderfully thick sauce, great with mashed potatoes, steamed veg, and especially broccoli. Works well as a make-ahead, after being cooled in the fridge you can literally just cut a slice off the block so you easily get as much as you want. I usually buy the strongest shredded cheddar I can find as my joints won't put up with doing it myself. I'd advise picking the strength of cheese you are fond of though. I've listed it all as prep time as it needs fairly constant attention.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt the butter over a medium heat.
- 2Slowly add the flour and beat till smooth.
- 3Remove from the heat and slowly add the milk, making sure to mix well. You want to avoid lumps. If you get some, fishing them out on the spoon and squishing them with the fork to break them up can help.
- 4Bring to a boil and cook gently for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly.
- 5Add the cheese and mustard if you have it (I'd not worry if you don't I doubt it's enough to fuss over.) The more cheese the better in my book, but for a thinner sauce you might want just the 4 oz.
- 6Serve immediately, or pour into Tupperware and put in the fridge. The sauce will firm up,but just cut off as much as you want and warm in either the microwave or a pan. You can add more milk to thin if needed.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coating Cheese Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.7
- Calories from Fat 306
- Total Fat 34.0 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 103.1 mg
- Sodium 423.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 16.9 g