Recipe by Iceland
If you ever have the pleasure to come to a family or friends gathering in Iceland you will be able to try this. If you think your chances are not that high for that, try it for yourself. This is such an easy crowd pleaser, you will be amazed! 12 ounces are about 340 grames which makes 1-2 packages. I prefere it not to be too rich. You can use plain cream cheese or cream cheese with herbs. You can leave the ham and use sliced and panfried mushrooms instead. If you want the sandwhich to be higher, only pour half of the mixture onto the bread, then add onother layer of bread and finish as stated below.
Top Review by Scoutie
Wow, I wasn't really sure what I was expecting here, but it turned out great! I used regular cream cheese and added my own fresh herbs. And I used a Gouda cheese, grated, but I think many different cheeses would work too. Next time I will add shrooms. Thanks for posting. Made for ZWT 6.
- 1 loaf white bread
- 1 tsk butter
- 12 ounces cream cheese with herbs
- 12 ounces asparagus (1 can)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup breakfast ham (optional)
- 1 cup cheese, grinded
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread an about 10" x 7" baking tray with butter.
- Cut the bread into 1/2" slices and them into the tay so it covers.
- Put cream cheese and asparagus (including the water in the can) into a mixing bowl. If your asparagus is whole, cut it into 1" pieces before you add it.
- Mix everything until smooth.
- Spice with salt and pepper.
- Cut ham into small pieces and add. Stir.
- Pour the mixture over the bread.
- Spread with cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes, the cheese looks golden.