Recipe by Karen=^..^=
Another OLD recipe from my grandmother, cut off of a box of Armour's Cloverbloom butter. Lovely old fashioned flavor.
Top Review by KitchenManiac
a bit of work, but a good cake. I made a mistake of not reading the recipe correctly therefore I ended up doing even more work..maybe this might help others who are thinking of making this cake. STEP ONE: Whip the egg whites STEP TWO: Whip the egg yokes I made the mistake of only whipping the egg whites, so when I started creaming the butter, I had to stop halfway and whip the egg yolks first. Though this recipe is a bit of work, the texture of the cake is very different I think because of the method used to make the cake. Do cut down the sugar to one cup cos I felt 1 1/4 cup sugar made the butter cake a LITTLE too sweet.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter until fluffy.
- Add sugar gradually and continue to cream after each addition.
- Add egg yolks which have been beaten until thick and lemon colored.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into batter.
- Fold in flour, powder and salt sifted together.
- Add vanilla and pour into a loaf pan which has been lined with oiled paper.
- Bake at 325* for 1 1/4- 1 1/2 hours.