Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
Like Gingersnaps, these cookies have a delicious spicy crunch. They're just the thing for a cup of tea.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, completely softened at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon packed finely grated orange zest
- In a bowl sift together the flour, cloves, cinnamon, pepper, and salt.
- Cream the butter in an electric mixter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar and blend until just combined, scraping the bowl well.
- Add the egg and orange zest and mix until well blended, scraping the bowl as needed.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients all at once and mix on low speed just until the flour is absorbed and the dough starts to come together (about 30 seconds).
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead just until the dough forms a smooth mass.
- Flatten into a disk that's abot 1/2 inch thick.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 2 hours.
- Heat the oven to 375*F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough 1/8th inch thick, making sure it isn't sticking to the surface and that it rolls out evenly, lightly sprinkling flour under the dough if needed.
- With a 2 inch round cookie cutter, stamp out shapes.
- Reroll the scraps and stamp out more.
- Set the cookies 1/2 inch apart on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake until the cookies are golden around the edges and on the bottoms, about 12 minutes, rotating the baking sheets as needed for even baking.
- Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheets on racks.
- Store in airtight container.
These snaps are great but I did find the cooking time was a bit long in my oven as they came out a bit too overdone to use for the Christmas box. But they were fine for home! The granulated sugar did not dissolve as well as I expected despite all the creaming so if you are going to use them for special uses I would use caster/superfine sugar.