Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Based on a recipe from The Best of Clay Pot Cooking cookbook. Cooking time does not include the time it takes to soak the chickpeas in water overnight.
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight in water to cover & drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 lbs chuck roast or 2 lbs beef brisket
- 2 sweet potatoes or 2 yams, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 3 large eggs
- 3 -4 cups chicken broth or 3 -4 cups water
- salt and black pepper
- Combine the chickpeas, onion, garlic, raisins, pepper, cinnamon, mace, and turmeric in a pre-soaked 4-quart clay pot.
- Place the meat on the chickpea mixture.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes and whole eggs around the meat.
- Add enough broth or water so the meat and eggs are nearly covered.
- Cover the pot and place in a cold oven.
- Set the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
- Cook for about 4 hours, until the meat is tender, adding liquid as needed so the eggs are always at least partly submerged.
- To serve, peel and quarter the eggs. Make a bed of chickpeas and yams on each plate and top with slices of beef and pieces of eggs.
Well! Dh doesn't like ot roast but he did say the flavors & the stuff other than the meat was very good. THE PICKY ONE is following suit & claiming she doesn't like the texture of this cut of meat. I LOVE POT ROAST. And this was no exception - delicious!! The eggs seemed odd but we all agreed they were the best 'hard boiled eggs' we'd ever had, lol. The sweet potatoes were a bit overcooked, imo. It needed a good healthy dose of salt in the end. Thank you! Made for NA*ME Tag.