4 hrs 30 mins
Based on a recipe from The Best of Clay Pot Cooking cookbook. Cooking time does not include the time it takes to soak the chickpeas in water overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight in water to cover & drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 lbs chuck roast or 2 lbs beef brisket
- 2 sweet potatoes or 2 yams, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 3 large eggs
- 3 -4 cups chicken broth or 3 -4 cups water
- salt and black pepper
- 1Combine the chickpeas, onion, garlic, raisins, pepper, cinnamon, mace, and turmeric in a pre-soaked 4-quart clay pot.
- 2Place the meat on the chickpea mixture.
- 3Arrange the sweet potatoes and whole eggs around the meat.
- 4Add enough broth or water so the meat and eggs are nearly covered.
- 5Cover the pot and place in a cold oven.
- 6Set the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
- 7Cook for about 4 hours, until the meat is tender, adding liquid as needed so the eggs are always at least partly submerged.
- 8To serve, peel and quarter the eggs. Make a bed of chickpeas and yams on each plate and top with slices of beef and pieces of eggs.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Clay Pot North African Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (409 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 650.2
- Calories from Fat 314
- Total Fat 34.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 210.0 mg
- Sodium 540.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 41.2 g