Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The fine moist crumb of this cake complements any type of filling and frosting makes for the perfect celebratory cake.
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Butter two 9-inch diameter by 1 1/2-inch deep layer pans or 1 (13 by 9 by 2-inch) pan.
- Lined bottoms with parchment or waxed paper.
- Set a rack at the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Set aside.
- Combine egg whites, milk and vanilla extract.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to butter mixture then add half the milk mixture.
- Continue to alternate beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Scrape bowl and beater often.
- Pour batter into prepared pan (s) and smooth top with a metal spatula.
- Bake cake (s) about 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean.
- Cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack, remove paper and let cool completely.
I made this cake to give to my sister in law that was ailing. I used a carmel icing #24765 which complimented this cake very well. When we dropped it off, she gave us each a slice of cake. I have recently starting making my cakes from scratch and find them very simple to do. I love the flavor of this cake and will continue to make it in the future.
I was searching for a cake to properly complement ChrissyO's Lemon Butter recipe #27934 and came up with your delicious cake, Steve! What a fabulous find! This cake stands completely on its own! Fabulous moist texture and flavor! I made a 13x9x2" cake knowing that I would be serving it with the Lemon Butter. I followed your excellent directions exactly. I highly recommned serving this cake with the Lemon Butter- really tasty!! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us, Steve!!
I don't know what I did wrong, but this cake turned out pretty dense and crumbly. It tasted like a big sugar cookie. I ate it anyway, though.