Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 12 mins
This is my perfect basic recipe for twice baked potatoes. These potatoes are great to make ahead of time. Just refrigerate or freeze until you need them, and reheat in the oven. I prefer sharp cheddar cheese, but you can use whatever you like, but it will change the taste of the recipe. Cook time includes baking the potatoes. Bake a few extra potatoes for extra filling if you like.
- 4 medium baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon milk, maybe more
- 4 slices American cheese or 4 slices other good melting cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Scrub and pierce potatoes.
- Bake for one hour, or until fully cooked.
- Remove potatoes from oven and let cool slightly.
- Cut potatoes in half and scoop out potato, being careful not to tear the skins, and place in a large bowl.
- Set skins aside.
- Add butter and salt to potatoes; mash until smooth.
- Add sour cream; mash until combined.
- Add cheese; mash until combined.
- Add one tablespoon of milk; mash.
- If the mixture needs to be more creamy, add more milk, one tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.
- Add additional salt to taste, if needed.
- Fill empty skins with potato mixture.
- Top each potato with a half slice of cheese.
- Return to oven and reheat until hot.
- *Note*You may also refrigerate them to reheat at a later time, or you can freeze them.
- If you freeze them, delay placing the cheese slices on top until you are ready to bake them. You might want to add more milk to the mix before filling the potatoes because after freezing they seem to reheat a little less creamy.
I didn't know until the last minute that I wanted to make twice baked potatoes, so I ran through a drive-thru fast food place and picked up some of their 99 cent baked potatoes to get a head start.....it worked beautifully. Plus, they came with sour cream and chives.
These are delicious! I added some garlic powder and fresh chives (and left off the cheese on top to save a few grams of fat!). A big hit - will definitely make this again!
Excellent. I added some garlic powder seeing that I am a garlic addict. My son just stopped by and ate what I had left and took the ones that I was going to put in the freezer...LOL...HOG! I took a few pictures, will post them later. I also add a few green onion tops and a little fresh parsley... Very Very Very good! This is a for sure keeper. Thanks