1/2 Photos of Classic Stuffed Bell Peppers
Heather Lazar's Note:
This Cooks Illustrated recipe is delicious. You can also make it with ground chicken, basil and smoked mozzarella instead of the classic beef version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium red bell peppers (about 6 oz. each) or 4 medium yellow bell peppers (about 6 oz. each) or 4 medium orange bell peppers, 1/2 inch trimmed off tops, cores and seeds discarded (about 6 oz. each)
- 1/2 cup long grain white rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
- 12 ounces ground beef, preferably ground chuck
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained, 1/4 cup juice reserved
- 1 1/4 cups monterey jack cheese (about 5 oz)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- black pepper
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over high heat.
- 2Add 1 tablespoon salt and bell peppers.
- 3Cook until peppers just begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- 4Using slotted spoon, remove peppers from pot, drain off excess water and place peppers cut side up on paper towels.
- 5Return water to boil; add rice and boil until tender, about 13 minutes.
- 6Drain rice and transfer to large bowl; set aside.
- 7Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350°F.
- 8Meanwhile, heat 12 inch heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat until hot, about 1 1/2 minutes; add oil and swirl to coat.
- 9Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- 10Add ground beef and cook, breaking beef into small pieces with spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- 11Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant about 30 seconds.
- 12Transfer mixture to bowl with rice; stir in tomatoes, 1 cup cheese, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- 13Stir together ketchup and reserved tomato juice in small bowl.
- 14Place peppers cut side up in 9 inch square baking dish.
- 15Using soup spoon, divide filling evenly among peppers.
- 16Spoon 2 tablespoons ketchup mixture over each filled pepper and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon of remaining cheese.
- 17Bake until cheese is browned and filling is heated through, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 18Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Stuffed Bell Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (417 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 528.7
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 89.2 mg
- Sodium 426.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 28.9 g