1/2 Photos of Classic Chili Poblano Rellenos
I love chili rellenos and with poblano chilies, they are super good! I hope you enjoy this classic recipe, using poblano chilies! This chile pepper is often mislabeled 'Pasilla', which is a different pepper entirely.It is one of the most popular chiles in Mexico and has won the appreciation of many a chef worldwide because of the superior flavor it has over regular bell peppers. They have a tough outer skin that usually requires roasting and peeling before use. These very large chile peppers are most popular in chiles rellenos recipes, but cooking with these as a substitute for bell peppers in any recipe will enhance the flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 -10 poblano chiles (about 7-inch )
- 3/4 lb grated mild cheddar cheese (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- vegetable shortening (for frying)
- 4 large egg yolks, beaten
- 4 large egg whites, beaten until foamy
- 1/4 lb grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
- prepared salsa (optional)
- 1Roast the chiles:.
- 2Roast the chilies by broiling three to five minutes on each side. The skin will begin to char and get black spots. Remove, cool a minute or two, then wrap in plastic wrap and let it sit five minutes. Remove the wrap and peel chilies.
- 3Keep the broiler on.
- 4Carefully cut a lengthwise slit into each chile and stuff with some cheddar cheese. Combine the flour, salt and pepper and dredge the chiles.
- 5In a large saucepan, heat 1/2" of shortening till very hot.
- 6Fold the egg yolks into the whites and working with 2 chiles at a time, dip the chiles into the egg batter and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown, no more than a couple of minutes. With a slotted spoon transfer the chiles (careful--they are delicate) to paper towels to drain.
- 7Arrange the chiles on a flameproof plate and sprinkle with sharp cheddar. Broil the chiles just long enough to melt the cheese.
- 8Serve immediately, accompanied by your favorite salsa. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Chili Poblano Rellenos
Serving Size: 1 (1093 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 623.3
- Calories from Fat 383
- Total Fat 42.5 g
- Saturated Fat 25.6 g
- Cholesterol 303.7 mg
- Sodium 2228.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 38.0 g