Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Serve over cooked pasta.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely minced garlic
- 1⁄2 lb onion, peeled and finely minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely minced
- 1 stalk celery, finely minced
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes with juice
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- Add olive oil to a large pot over medium-high heat; allow time for the oil to heat.
- Add in the garlic and onions; stir/saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in the carrots and celery; stir/saute for 5 minutes.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the pot and add about 1/3 of the ground beef; salt the beef to taste.
- Cook about 3-5 minutes or until starts to brown (stir the beef, breaking it up as you stir).
- Push beef to the side (or over the vegetables) and repeat with the second third of the beef.
- After that starts to brown, push it aside and repeat with the remainder of the beef.
- When all the beef is done, mix the beef and vegetables together.
- Add in the tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, sugar, and oregano.
- Mix well; simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally (break up the tomatoes against the side of the pot as you stir).
- When the sauce is done, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or freeze for later use.