Recipe by grandma2969
Have not tried this recipe,..someone gave it to me..thought I would post it here and get it out of the junk drawer.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup apricot preserves
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and 1/4 cup brown sugar for 3 minutes. gradually add the flour and beat only until the mixture holds together.
- Pat the dough evenly over the bottom of an unbuttered 9" sqaure pan with your fingertips.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir the preserves to soften and set aside while you prepare the filling. Beat the eggs in a mixer bowl at high speed for 2-3 minutes -- then beat in the salt and vanilla.
- On low speed, add the remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar and the cocoa.
- Increase the speed to high and beat 2-3 minutes more. fold in the nuts by hand.combine well.
- Remove the hot crust from the oven and spread with the preserves. Pour the filling over the preserves and tilt the pan to level the filling.
- Bake the cookies for 25 minutes longer, then allow to cool completley.
- Make the icing:.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water. Add the corn syrup, orange juice and boiling water.stir until smooth. Spread the icing evenly over the cooled cookies and sprinkle with the chopped nuts. With a wide spatula, press the nuts slightly into the icing.
- Let stand a few hours before cutting.