Prep 1 min
Cook 4 mins
A little something I came up with when I wanted a change from my daily oat bran. Tastes like a blueberry corn muffin!
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter flavor extract
- sugar or Splenda sugar substitute, to taste
- butter or margarine, to taste
- milk (optional)
- Mix cornmeal, water, and butter extract in a microwave dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Remove, stir well, and add blueberries. Replace plastic wrap and microwave another 2 minutes.
- Stir in sweetener, milk, and/or butter to taste!
I thought this would make a nice change for my 11 months old son brekky but I was a tad disappointed, it was really quite bland even for his tastes..I think maybe using juice rather than water to cook would do the trick or perhaps some grated apple for extra sweetness.
I was rather dissapointed with the way this turned out. It overflowed in my microwave, didn't thicken up very much, and didn't taste as much like a blueberry corn muffin as I was anticipating. If I were to try it again, I would use less water, a much deeper bowl, and add plenty of butter/sugar etc.
This was really good! I have to warn, though, that my cornmeal's first time in the microwave it boiled over (even after being covered in plastic wrap.) Maybe I should have used a deeper bowl. Just keep an eye on it. After I put the blueberries in, I just microwaved for 30 seconds uncovered and it was ready to eat. I had my mush with 1/4 blueberries, some Splenda and a splash of almond milk. Thanks for the recipe! It's great to have something a little different to eat for breakfast and snacks.