A Lidia Bastianich recipe that was adapted from a website that showcases many great chef's recipes. Posted for 2006 Zaar World Tour - Italy.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 lbs littleneck clams, washed and brushed
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
- 2 cups lidia's flavors of italy tomato sauce, with basil or 2 cups tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 2 scallions
- 10 fresh basil leaves, washed, dried, and cut into very thin strips, chopped
- salt, to taste
- In a large and wide heavy casserole or dutch oven, over a medium flame, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook until golden brown, stirring for approximately 2 minutes. Add crushed red pepper flakes, stir, than add the clams and wine. Place a lid on the pot, turn flame to high, and cook shaking the pot occasionally for approximately 7 minutes or until clams begin to open.
- Pour in tomato sauce, add scallions and basil. Stir well and bring mixture to a boil.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer clams to a serving platter and discard any unopened shells. Spoon sauce over the clams and serve immediately.
Simple and tasty, I would love this over pasta. I used Trader Joe's Tomato and Basil sauce. Made as written except for reducing the quantity . Made for Cruisin Culinary Queens for the 2014 Culinary Quest
Love this recipe, only thing I changed was I used fire roasted tomatoes, onions and garlic to make sauce. Awesome!
Lovely! Simple, so fresh tasting. I used herbs from the garden, sauce from our own tomatoes and the result was terrific. Thanks, Lori!