Recipe by lauralie41
A Lidia Bastianich recipe that was adapted from a website that showcases many great chef's recipes. Posted for 2006 Zaar World Tour - Italy.
Top Review by threeovens
This dish came together in no time at all, but tasted like you slaved for hours. The sauce is genius and Aldi's also makes a tomato and basil sauce. I added mussels and fish for personal preference.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 lbs littleneck clams, washed and brushed
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
- 2 cups lidia's flavors of italy tomato sauce, with basil or 2 cups tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 2 scallions
- 10 fresh basil leaves, washed, dried, and cut into very thin strips, chopped
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large and wide heavy casserole or dutch oven, over a medium flame, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook until golden brown, stirring for approximately 2 minutes. Add crushed red pepper flakes, stir, than add the clams and wine. Place a lid on the pot, turn flame to high, and cook shaking the pot occasionally for approximately 7 minutes or until clams begin to open.
- Pour in tomato sauce, add scallions and basil. Stir well and bring mixture to a boil.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer clams to a serving platter and discard any unopened shells. Spoon sauce over the clams and serve immediately.