Recipe by Oolala
Sounds great but I haven't tried it. From Bon Appetit, Tastes of the World. This is from Indonesia. Goes well with Asian noodles or steamed rice.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 shallots, large, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 lbs littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 1⁄2 cups bottled clam juice
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced, from the can, with juices
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 green onions, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tablespoons oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the chopped shallots and saute until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoons ginger, 1 teaspoons turmeric, and 1/4 teaspoons cumin and stir for 1 minute.
- Add clams and clam juice, coconut milk, tomatoes and their juices, jalapeno and lime peel and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook until clams open, about 7 minutes; discard any that do not open.
- Stir in the lime juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer clams and sauce to a bowl; sprinkle with green onions and serve.