Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The chicken is marinated, then grilled. And WHOO HOO! The marinade is not tossed, but used to make the rice salad. From "Family Circle" magazine. In this recipe, McCormick's Smokehouse pepper is used. This is black pepper that has been infused with applewood smoke. You can use ordinary black pepper or try bacon salt for the salt, or adding a little liquid smoke to the marinade. Times do not include marinating time.
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (McCormick Smokehouse)
- 6 large skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons marinade (leftover from above)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper
- 2 green onions, slice thin
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- Prepare the marinade in a large resealable plastic bag; combine orange juice, lime juice, tequila, canola oil, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours, up to overnight.
- Heat a grill to medium high heat, preparing for direct and indirect grilling.
- Remove chicken from marinade and boil for 1 minute and reserve.
- Grill chicken, over direct heat, for 5 minutes per side; transfer to indirect side and continue grilling, basting every 5 minutes, until cooked through (internal temperature 160 degrees F), about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk olive oil, 3 tablespoons of the boiled marinade, and salt.
- Stir in rice, peppers, green onions, and cilantro.
- Serve salad, at room temperature, with the chicken.
The chicken was really good and the rice salad complimented it nicely. I made for ZWT8 for The Fearless.