Recipe by Adopted Parisian
Brightly colored and flavored dessert bars. These have a lightly sweet crust, with a rich creamy filling. Fresh orange and lemon zest are a fresh balance to the usually heavy flavors of the holiday season.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup orange juice
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- orange peel, curls (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 9x12 baking dish with foil, leave 2 inches extra on all sides, and butter the foil.
- Mix flour and cornstarch in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium until fluffy. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Transfer dough to dish, spreading evenly pressing to make a 1/4-inch crust in bottom of pan. Cover with plastic wrap, then press and flatten with hands to even out the dough. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Remove the plastic from the dough and prick the dough evenly all over with a fork. Bake crust until golden.
- Meanwhile, melt jam in microwave until soft enough to spread. Spread jam with a spatula over the crust. Return to the oven and cook another 10 minutes. Cool crust completely, about 1 hour.
- Whisk eggs, yolks, sugar, milk, flour, and salt together in a medium bowl and beat till thickened. Stir in juices and zest, and whisk well.
- Pour the filling onto cooled crust and bake until filling is firm but loose and wobbly in the center, about 25 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before cutting.
- Remove bars from fridge and dip bottom of dish in warm water to soften butter and release foil from sides. Use foil to lift pastry out of dish and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 2 inch squares. Top each square with an orange curl and serve.