Recipe by yogi
Pickled strips of horseradish with a little twist of flavor from the orange juice. Use them in Asian salads or anywhere you would use pickled ginger. From Stephan Pyles Southwestern Vegetarian cookbook. Cook time is marinating time.
- 1 lb fresh horseradish, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 cup champagne vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons grated lemons, zest of
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Shave strips of horseradish into a bowl (can also cut them into thin strips).
- Add salt, toss to coat, and refrigerate for 24 hours, covered, tossing occasionally.
- In a bowl, mix vinegar, juices, zests, 3 T water and sugar till sugar is dissolved, then set aside.
- Put horseradish in a colander and let drain 30 minutes.
- Place strips in 2 sterilized pint jars and pour the citrus mixture evenly into each, to cover the horseradish.
- Seal tightly and refrigerate at least 3 days.
- Will keep for 3 months if refrigerated.