1 hr 30 mins
This is a great and dramatic dessert. The creme brulée here can be cooked traditionally and 'bruléed in a ramekin, but the ability to assemble these napoleons and have the differing textures between the puff pastry, roasted fruits, and the creamy creme brulée is what makes this dish a surefire seller! Note--each of the pieces can be kept individually for several days (up to a week) but once assembled this item need to be served fairly quickly. Any fruit can be used, use what's fresh and in season and enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the puff pastry into strips about 2 inches wide and 6 inches long--score and allow to rest for at least 20 minutes in the fridge.
- 2Combine the 1 egg and 1 egg yolk to create a egg wash.
- 3Brush the puff pastry with the egg wash and dust with powdered sugar, Bake in a 350°F- 400°F oven until golden brown and 'puffed'.
- 4Allow puff to cool then slice in half through the center of the puff, creating a puff 'sandwich'.
- 5Remove the zest from the orange; split and scrape the vanilla bean.
- 6In a thick-bottom sauce pot scald the cream, orange zest, and vanilla bean together.
- 7In a bowl combine the sugar and 5 egg yolks together.
- 8Temper the hot cream mixture into the egg/ sugar mixture the return to the sauce pan.
- 9Cook the creme until nape` (it coats the back of a wooden spoon).
- 10Place into a casserole dish/hotel pan of any size that will allow there to be a layer of creme brulée on the bottom about 1 inch thick.
- 11Back in a 350°F oven in a water bath until firm (jiggles only slightly when the pan is shaken). Remove from the water bath and allow to cool.
- 12To assemble: Place the bottom half of a puff 'sandwich' on a plate.
- 13Using a thin spatula place a layer of the creme brulée onto the puff (it doesn't have to look pretty as we'll be covering it soon).
- 14On top of the creme brulée place a single layer of roasted fruit, so that the wedges overhang the creme brulée on either side.
- 15Place the top of the puff pastry on and dust with powdered sugar.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Citrus Creme Brulée Napoleon
Serving Size: 1 (2077 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 982.2
- Calories from Fat 540
- Total Fat 60.1 g
- Saturated Fat 28.7 g
- Cholesterol 399.2 mg
- Sodium 181.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 76.8 g
- Protein 10.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: