Recipe by Desree42
This is a great and dramatic dessert. The creme brulée here can be cooked traditionally and 'bruléed in a ramekin, but the ability to assemble these napoleons and have the differing textures between the puff pastry, roasted fruits, and the creamy creme brulée is what makes this dish a surefire seller! Note--each of the pieces can be kept individually for several days (up to a week) but once assembled this item need to be served fairly quickly. Any fruit can be used, use what's fresh and in season and enjoy!
- 1 sheet commercial puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 10 ounces powdered sugar
- 5 roasted peaches (I use Roasted Fruit)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 orange
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the puff pastry into strips about 2 inches wide and 6 inches long--score and allow to rest for at least 20 minutes in the fridge.
- Combine the 1 egg and 1 egg yolk to create a egg wash.
- Brush the puff pastry with the egg wash and dust with powdered sugar, Bake in a 350°F- 400°F oven until golden brown and 'puffed'.
- Allow puff to cool then slice in half through the center of the puff, creating a puff 'sandwich'.
- Remove the zest from the orange; split and scrape the vanilla bean.
- In a thick-bottom sauce pot scald the cream, orange zest, and vanilla bean together.
- In a bowl combine the sugar and 5 egg yolks together.
- Temper the hot cream mixture into the egg/ sugar mixture the return to the sauce pan.
- Cook the creme until nape` (it coats the back of a wooden spoon).
- Place into a casserole dish/hotel pan of any size that will allow there to be a layer of creme brulée on the bottom about 1 inch thick.
- Back in a 350°F oven in a water bath until firm (jiggles only slightly when the pan is shaken). Remove from the water bath and allow to cool.
- To assemble: Place the bottom half of a puff 'sandwich' on a plate.
- Using a thin spatula place a layer of the creme brulée onto the puff (it doesn't have to look pretty as we'll be covering it soon).
- On top of the creme brulée place a single layer of roasted fruit, so that the wedges overhang the creme brulée on either side.
- Place the top of the puff pastry on and dust with powdered sugar.