Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My favorite way to eat ham. The mixture of orange juice and cherry pie filling makes a great sauce that is not too sweet. The recipe is from Sawgrass and Pines, a Florida Cookbook.
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 5 lbs uncooked ham, with bone
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 325 °F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine apple cider and water, bring to a boil, then set aside.
- You will use this mixture to baste ham as it cooks.
- Remove skin from ham.
- Place ham, fat side up and score fat into diamonds and stud with cloves.
- Coat top of ham with brown sugar.
- Place ham fat side up in a shallow baking pan.
- Insert meat thermometer (make sure it is not touching bone or fat portion).
- Bake for@ 2 hours or 22-25 minutes per pound.
- Meat thermometer should read 160 °F.
- Baste every thirty minutes with cider mixture.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Serve over ham slices.