Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Serve these warm with a little butter, and the streusel is mouth-watering.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 tablespoons egg whites, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup light margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup light margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, allspice, & cinnamon.
- Add egg, milk and margarine.
- Stir wet mix into dry ingredients until just mixed. Do not overmix.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups 1/2 the way full.
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over muffin batter.
- Bake 20 minutes or until done.
The muffin itself was good, but we used a streusel recipe from another recipe, because there's no way to make a crumbly streusel out of melted buter. Maybe I'm missing something... Like I said though, the muffin itself was good. I used my 3oz. scoop and it made a dozen muffins.
These are wonderful, not overly sweet muffins. I got 11 good sized muffins with perfectly crunchy tops and light tender bottoms. The sugar could probably be cut down even. This recipe was perfect, I'm happy that it didn't include any funny ingredients. These are all things that are in the house all the time. Thank you!