Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This taken from our local press. This can be refrigerated for one week or sliced and frozen. ETA. upon reading reviews, either make 1 1/2 times the recipe for two full loaves or 1 loaf and a few muffins.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat 2 standard loaf pans with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, combine the pumpkin puree, bananas, vanilla and eggs.
- Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the flour, rolled oats, flax meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- Process until thoroughly blended, about 30 seconds, stopping to scrape the sides as needed.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Upon removal from pans, let cool completely before slicing.
Mmmmm....my first of many pumpkin yummies for the fall season! It made the whole house smell wonderful! I made this vegan by using Ener-G Egg Replacer instead of eggs, and also made it gluten-free by using Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour. The recipe held up really well to my modifications. The oatmeal and flax seed gave it a wonderful nutty flavor and texture. Instead of pumpkin pie spice, I just used cinnamon. I might double the spice next time. I poured half the batter in a loaf pan and half in a muffin tin. The muffins were done in about 25 minutes. I found that the bread and muffins were delicious served warm with margarine and cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top. Made for Veg*n Swap 14.
I really like this recipe, it feels more healthier than banana bread. Plus it's a nice alternative to use up extra bananas. I don't have a loaf pan so I baked them in cupcake pan instead. I baked w/ cupcake liners (to save on clean up) but I would recommend spraying it w/ baking spray instead. A lot of it gets stuck to the liners thought that doesn't stop me from eating a last bit :)
I make whole-wheat, low-fat or no-fat quick breads quite a bit. I was disappointed overall with this bread. It was quite dense and dry. The flavor was okay. I do not plan to make this recipe again.