Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Sweet and spicy, flavourful and easy to make. This recipe uses slow indirect heat to make a tender and succulent loin roast. You can set in on the barbecue and forget it so it is great when you have company. Inspired by a recipe in Cottage Life's Summer Weekend Cookbook
- 1⁄2-1 1⁄2 kg boneless pork loin
Paste or Rub
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic (or two cloves fresh crushed)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper, as desired
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice or 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup cinnamon honey (or 1/4 cup regular honey and 1/2 tsp cinnamon)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili flakes
- Mix ingredients for paste/rub and smear over pork loin.
- Leave to sit 8 hours or overnight.
- Mix ingredients for the basting sauce.
- To prepare barbecue, set a shallow pan of water on the coals to cover half the barbecue. Preheat barbecue on high.
- Place the marinated loin over the pan and turn off heat under the pan, but set at medium on other half of barbecue.
- Cook meat for 1.5 to 2 hours turning occasionally. Brush Basting Sauce over loin during the final 20 minutes or so of cooking. Cook until meat is 150-155°F.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, slice and serve.
Was good just not great. DH & DS think maybe too much herbs or too much citrus juice. Will try again with 1 Tablespoon of the juice for rub and baste sauce.