Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
from Bon Appetit, 2003.
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup frozen vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons ice water (or more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 1⁄4 lbs granny smith apples, peeled,cored,sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- vanilla ice cream
- For crust: Mix flour, salt, and sugar in large bowl.
- Add butter and shortening; rub in with fingertips until coarse meal forms.
- Mix 3 tablespoons ice water and vinegar in small bowl to blend.
- Drizzle over flour mixture; stir with fork until moist clumps form, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry.
- Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk.
- Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round.
- Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish.
- Trim overhang to 1/2 inch; turn edge under and crimp decoratively.
- Refrigerate while preparing filling and topping.
- For filling: Mix all ingredients in large bowl to coat apples.
- For topping: Blend first 5 ingredients in processor.
- Add chilled butter cubes; using on/off turns, cut in until mixture resembles wet sand.
- Toss filling to redistribute juices; transfer to crust, mounding in center.
- Pack topping over and around apples.
- Bake pie on baking sheet until topping is golden, about 40 minutes (cover top with foil if browning too quickly).
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F Bake until apples in center are tender when pierced and filling is bubbling thickly at edges, about 45 minutes longer.
- Cool until warm, about 1 hour.
- Serve with ice cream.
This recipe is easy and delicious. I'm adding this one to my cookbook.