1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 25 mins
from Bon Appetit, 2003.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup frozen vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons ice water (or more)
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 1/4 lbs granny smith apples, peeled,cored,sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1For crust: Mix flour, salt, and sugar in large bowl.
- 2Add butter and shortening; rub in with fingertips until coarse meal forms.
- 3Mix 3 tablespoons ice water and vinegar in small bowl to blend.
- 4Drizzle over flour mixture; stir with fork until moist clumps form, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry.
- 5Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk.
- 6Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 7Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round.
- 8Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish.
- 9Trim overhang to 1/2 inch; turn edge under and crimp decoratively.
- 10Refrigerate while preparing filling and topping.
- 11For filling: Mix all ingredients in large bowl to coat apples.
- 12For topping: Blend first 5 ingredients in processor.
- 13Add chilled butter cubes; using on/off turns, cut in until mixture resembles wet sand.
- 14Toss filling to redistribute juices; transfer to crust, mounding in center.
- 15Pack topping over and around apples.
- 16Bake pie on baking sheet until topping is golden, about 40 minutes (cover top with foil if browning too quickly).
- 17Reduce oven temperature to 350°F Bake until apples in center are tender when pierced and filling is bubbling thickly at edges, about 45 minutes longer.
- 18Cool until warm, about 1 hour.
- 19Serve with ice cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cinnamon Crumble Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 578.6
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 45.7 mg
- Sodium 297.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 53.0 g
- Protein 4.6 g