I got this recipe from my Mother Earth News Magazine. I have never used millet this way before. Because I have a Vita-Mix blender, I ground my own millet to make the flour. I used Vegan ingredients in mine. The apple filling is not sweet and the crust is almost like short bread only more solid. It has a lovely lemony flavour to it.
FOR THE CRUST
- 6 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups millet flour (finely ground)
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon butter (unsalted)
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
- 5 medium granny smith apples (about 5 cups cored and sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350'F.
- Cream butter and beat in powdered sugar, lemon zest, vanilla, salt and egg.
- Coat a 9" baking pan with butter, then press the Crust mixture into it. Prick the top of the crust and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes until golden around the edges and firm to the touch.
- White the crust is baking prepare the topping.
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Then add the apples and saute them until they are soft and browned in spots.
- Add the brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins, stirring until the sugar melts.
- In a cup mix the lemon juice and cornstarch together then add to the apple mixture and cook a few more minutes to coat the apples. It should be thick and bubbly.
- Pour the apples onto the baked crust and bake for an additional 10 minutes, then cool. Slice into 9 bars.
- Bon Appetit!