Recipe by looneytunesfan
Green chilies and taco seasoning add the piquant flavor but it is the lemon-lime carbonated beverage that adds the sweetness to these chicken wings. A Pillsbury Bake-Off® finalist recipe.
Top Review by Mareesme
I did not have the Old El Paso Brand items, but if the flavors were different, these were still very good. As the other reviewer said, I thought the addition of 7-Up was the key to making this different from other chicken wing appetizers. I'm glad I doubled the recipe so I could freeze the remaining wings to pass around on Cinco de Mayo!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken wings, cut apart at joints, wing tips discarded
- 2 medium green onions, thinly sliced including tops (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (12 ounce) cans carbonated lemon-lime beverage
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canold el paso chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packageold el paso taco seasoning mix
- 10 lettuce leaves, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken wings and onions; sprinkle with pepper flakes. Cook uncovered 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned; drain.
- Stir in carbonated beverage, green chiles and taco seasoning mix. Increase heat to high; cook uncovered 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-high; cook 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until chicken wings are completely glazed, small amount of glaze remains in skillet and juice of chicken is clear when thickest part is cut to bone (180°F).
- To serve, line serving plate with lettuce; arrange chicken wings over lettuce. Serve immediately.