1/1 Photo of Cilantro-Jalapeno Hummus and Tabouli (A La Pita Jungle)
25 hrs 15 mins
Robyn's Cookin''s Note:
I'm addicted to this dish at a local pita chain and had to re-create it at home. The flavor combinations are out of this world; every bit is sheer heaven, I'm not even kidding! My taste buds have never experienced such excitement. This is a vegetarian recipe that will please non-vegetarians (my husband and I are both meat eaters). Pita Jungle uses bulgur in their tabouli (which is traditional) but I use quinoa in mine, to boost the protein a little, and I can't tell the difference in flavor. Prep time includes the recommended 24-hour "marinate" time for the tabouli. The hummus recipe is a variation of my Hummus.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped (in this dish I prefer the texture of the curly parsley)
- 4 large green onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 lemons, juice of
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained but juice from one can reserved
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1/3 cup tahini paste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large jalapenos
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro (about 1/2 a bunch)
- 5 whole wheat pita bread
- 2 cucumbers, sliced
- 2Place quinoa in a fine-mesh wire strainer.
- 3Rinse several times, rubbing the grains together to remove the bitter outer layer.
- 4Place water and quinoa in a small saucepan.
- 5Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cover.
- 6Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.
- 7Let cool.
- 8Once the quinoa has cooled completely, mix together with the rest of the ingredients.
- 9Refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
- 11Add all ingredients, except for the reserved garbanzo bean juice, to the work bowl of your food processor.
- 12Process until well blended.
- 13While the processor is still running, slowly add reserved garbanzo bean juice through the feed chute until desired consistency is reached.
- 14To Serve:.
- 15Spread the hummus evenly onto 5 dinner plates.
- 16Split the tabouli into 5 servings as well, and plop into the center of each plate on top of the hummus.
- 17Serve with pitas and sliced cucumbers.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cilantro-Jalapeno Hummus and Tabouli (A La Pita Jungle)
Serving Size: 1 (505 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 640.4
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1249.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.3 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 20.2 g