Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I came up with this marinade from several different recipes. The brine gives the turkey a great flavor and it always comes out moist and yummy. You could also use a whole turkey as well. Whenever I make it I always get requests for the recipe. It even passed the "Mom test"; she says it's better than hers.
- 8 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh sage or 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 8 whole cloves
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 quarts cold water
- 1 medium orange, quartered
- 5 lbs turkey breast
- cooking spray
- In a large stockpot, or 2 gallon freezer bag, combine the apple juice through the water.
- Squeeze the juice from the orange quarters and add to the brine.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the turkey, making sure it is completely submerged in the brine.
- Refrigerate for 8-10 hours.
- Drain and discard marinade.
- Rinse turkey under cold water and pat dry.
- Place turkey breast on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Spray the breast with cooking spray to promote browning.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees.
- Let rest 15 minutes before carving.
Made this exactly by the recipe and it turned out great. The turkey was moist and very flavorful. It was very easy, very simple, and made a great Sunday lunch with meat left over for sandwiches tonight - I've just eaten one. I will definately be making this again. Khandi